FAQ - Texas Demand Response
Dispatch Trigger: Grid emergency, including risk of blackout
Dispatch Notification Timeline: 10 or 30 minutes
Dispatch Duration: 2 to 4 hours
EnerNOC has a proven track record of helping hundreds of organizations throughout Texas earn money, save on energy costs, and mitigate carbon emissions with demand response (DR). How does it work? When the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), the region’s electric grid operator, determines that it needs more supply to meet demand, it dispatches EnerNOC’s demand response network, which is made up of local organizations that have agreed to reduce energy during times of high demand. Our energy intelligence software (EIS) and deep well of market expertise provide the tools and guidance today’s businesses need to maximize their DR earning potential. With EnerNOC, participating in demand response has never been easier.
What is demand response?
Demand response programs provide a no-risk, no-cost opportunity for commercial, institutional, and industrial organizations to earn money while helping maintain reliable electricity throughout Texas. Program participants receive recurring capacity payments for agreeing to curtail electricity consumption in response to abnormally high electricity demand or electricity price spikes.
How does my business benefit?
Maximize payments to your bottom line
EnerNOC manages your participation from start to finish, ensuring you earn the highest possible financial reward, even if there are no dispatches. Since 2003, our customers have earned more than $1B in payments.
Reduce energy costs today
Avoid costly peak demand spikes, track energy usage trends over time, and spot opportunities to better manage energy costs with our real-time energy intelligence software.
Support your community
Your participation helps maintain reliable electricity through-out Texas and provides a clean, cost-effective alternative to building new power plants in the community.
How do I participate?
EnerNOC makes participation easy. We take care of the complex details so you can stay focused on running your business.
- Our expert team will work with you to identify your energy reduction potential and create a strategy that delivers maximum value with minimum impact on your operations. We outline these measures in a detailed Energy Reduction Plan.
- We install necessary metering devices at your facility to establish communication with our Network Operations Center (NOC), so we can monitor your energy consumption levels in real time.
- EnerNOC simulates a DR dispatch to ensure that you are comfortable with your Energy Reduction Plan. At any time during a dispatch, you can log into login.enernoc.com to view your performance in real-time.
- Your site is then enrolled and ready to respond if and when a dispatch begins. Throughout the process, we fully manage enrollment, measurement, verification, and payments on your behalf.
What can I expect during a dispatch?
When ERCOT anticipates the need for support, it dispatches the EnerNOC network into action. EnerNOC will notify you via email, phone, or SMS informing you when the dispatch will begin.
At the start of the dispatch, your facility will reduce its electricity usage according to your pre-determined Energy Reduction Plan—either manually, or automatically through the NOC.
Before, during, and after a dispatch, the NOC remains in communication with your facility. Our staff is available 24x7x365, supporting you to ensure that you achieve the highest possible levels of performance and payments.
What types of reductions can I make?
EnerNOC has extensive experience creating reduction strategies that work within the operational limitations of a wide variety of facilities, including cold storage, manufacturers, food processors, universities, malls, office buildings and more. Common reduction examples include:
- Reduce non-essential lighting
- Modify manufacturing processes
- Adjust HVAC equipment
- Dial back pumps
- Change settings in industrial freezers
Our customers find that many energy-intensive processes can simply be shifted by a few hours to facilitate dispatch participation. Ask us about our experience working with customers like you.
Looking for a better energy management solution?
EnerNOC’s energy intelligence software (EIS) delivers the visibility you need to zero in on operational best practices, uncover hidden savings opportunities and more effectively manage your energy budget.