FAQ - Ontario Demand Response
Target Customer: Commercial, institutional, and industrial organizations
Program Period: Year-round, weekdays
Program Hours: Weekdays between 12:00PM – 9:00PM (May 1 – Oct 31) and 4:00PM – 9:00PM (Nov 1 – April 30)
Dispatch Notification: Stand-by warning provided day-ahead or day-of (by 8AM), dispatch notice provided approximately 2 hours prior to event start time.
EnerNOC helps hundreds of organizations across the Province earn money, save on energy costs, and mitigate carbon emissions with demand response (DR). As a valued partner of the Independent Electric System Operator (IESO), our energy intelligence software (EIS) and deep well of market expertise provide the tools and guidance today’s businesses need to maximize their DR earning potential. With EnerNOC, participating in demand response in Ontario has never been easier.
What is demand response?
Demand response provides a no-risk, no-cost opportunity for commercial, institutional, and industrial organizations in Ontario to earn money and drive energy savings through the IESO’s DR program. Your participation helps maintain reliable electricity across Ontario. Program participants receive recurring payments in return for agreeing to curtail electricity consumption in response to abnormally high electricity demand or grid imbalances. EnerNOC manages your participation from start to finish helping ensure that you receive the highest possible financial rewards.
What are the benefits?
Maximize payments to your bottom line
EnerNOC has helped tens of thousands of customers maximize the financial benefits of demand response and has provided more than a billion dollars in payments to organizations like yours since 2003.
Reduce energy costs today
Our energy intelligence software provides the transparency you need to make better energy decisions by providing on-demand access to the real-time energy information you need to better manage your energy costs.
Support your community
Your participation helps maintain reliable electricity across Ontario and provides a clean, cost-effective alternative to building new power plants in the community.
How do I participate?
EnerNOC makes participation easy. We take care of the complex details so you can stay focused on running your business.
- Our expert team will work with you to identify your energy reduction potential and create a strategy that delivers maximum value with minimum impact on your operations. We outline these measures in a detailed Energy Reduction Plan.
- We install necessary metering devices at your facility to establish communication with our Network Operations Center (NOC), so we can monitor your energy consumption levels in real time.
- EnerNOC simulates a DR dispatch to ensure that you are comfortable with your energy reduction plan. At any time during a dispatch, you can log into login.enernoc.com to view your performance in real-time.
- Your site is then enrolled and ready to respond if and when a dispatch begins. Throughout the process, we fully manage enrollment, measurement, verification, and payments on your behalf.
What can I expect during a dispatch?
When the IESO anticipates the need for support, it dispatches the EnerNOC network into action. EnerNOC will notify you via email, phone, or SMS informing you when the dispatch will begin.
At the start of the dispatch, your facility will reduce its electricity usage according to your pre-determined Energy Reduction Plan—either manually, or automatically through the NOC.
Before, during, and after a dispatch, the NOC remains in communication with your facility. Our staff is available 24x7x365, supporting you to ensure that you achieve the highest possible levels of performance and payments.
What types of reductions can I make?
EnerNOC has extensive experience creating reduction strategies that work within the operational limitations of a wide variety of unique facilities, including cold storage, manufacturers, food processors, universities, malls, office buildings and more. Common reduction examples include:
- Reduce non-essential lighting
- Modify manufacturing processes
- Adjust HVAC equipment
- Dial back pumps
- Change settings in industrial freezers
Our customers find that many energy-intensive processes can simply be shifted by a few hours to facilitate dispatch participation. Ask us about our experience working with customers like you.