DemandSMART™ New Zealand: Manage Energy Use – and Get Paid
With more than 70 percent of electricity coming from renewable sources, New Zealand’s electrical grid is one of the lowest-carbon systems in the world. Still, balancing supply and demand on the grid is a constant challenge, especially with variability in renewable power and spikes in consumer energy usage. Imbalances threaten the grid's overall reliability and can drive up electricity prices for energy users. However, through various demand-side initiatives in New Zealand, businesses across the country are able to help support the grid, keep wholesale electricity prices low, and earn revenue for providing a valuable service.
EnerNOC has one of the largest networks of dispatchable demand in New Zealand, enabling businesses like yours (also called demand-side participants) to respond almost instantaneously to variances on the grid and provide energy reductions to the New Zealand Electricity Market. As part of EnerNOC’s DemandSMART demand response network, companies are paid just to participate, and are paid again each time they are asked to reduce.
With EnerNOC's DemandSMART, New Zealand's businesses are earning payments and contributing to a more reliable clean energy future. Interested?
Participation is Easy and Risk Free
EnerNOC is committed to making enrollment in its DemandSMART network as easy as possible. From identifying reduction potential to fully-supported site configuration, our goal is to provide superior customer service and the tools and information you need to earn the most money for your participation.
- First, our team works with you to design a curtailment strategy based on your energy assets and operations, and we outline these reduction measures for you in a detailed energy reduction plan.
The more you can reduce, the more you get paid – so our goal is to identify the largest possible opportunity within the context of your business operations.
- Then, we install a complimentary server at your facility, allowing you to securely monitor your real-time energy consumption 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Next, EnerNOC runs a test dispatch to ensure that you are ready to perform when called upon and that all notification signals are working in order.
- Your site is then enrolled and ready to respond during an actual dispatch. When this occurs, EnerNOC will also handle verification and payments on your behalf.
During an Event:
- Notification: EnerNOC will notify you via SMS or e-mail, based on your preferences, in advance of the dispatch and then again after it is complete.
- Response: At request, participating facilities will reduce their energy usage by implementing predetermined curtailment procedures. Response times vary according to types of DR programs, and individual sites can determine whether they would prefer automated or manual responses.
- Support: Before, during, and after a dispatch, EnerNOC’s Network Operations Centre (NOC) remains in communication with your facility. NOC personnel are available at any time to support you in achieving the highest levels of performance and payments.